Food for Thought
Chickpeas are a low-fat source of protein and soluble fiber. Fit promotes a feeling of fullness by slowing the movement of food through the upper digestive tract. Region: Kuakh
- ½ cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1 cup whole wheat kernels
- 2.6 L water
- 500 g yogurt
- 2 tsp salt
- Malek Batal PhD
Method of Preparation
- Place the chickpeas the chickpeas in a large saucepan, and cover with plenty of water. Bring water to boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer, half-covered for 1 hour or until the chickpeas are tender. Keep the water stock for later use.
- Wash the whole wheat kernels, put in a large pan and pour in 2.5 L of water. Bring to a boil for 1 hour (do not husk the kernels).
- Drain the whole wheat kernels.
- Mix the yogurt with ½ cup water and the salt. Heat the mixture for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat and chickpeas with the yogurt. Add 2 ladles of water stock (from the water used to boil the chickpeas) and serve.