Food for Thought
Fresh herbs such as coriander, are excellent sources of antioxidants such as vitamin C. Region: Chouf
- ¾ cup lentils, washed then drained
- 2 medium carrots
- 150 g Swiss chard, trimmed and cleaned
- ¾ cup cauliflower, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium potato, cut into cubes
- 3 medium summer squash, cut into cubes
- Small bunch of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups (300 g) pumpkin, cut into cubes
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 L water cup olive oil, for sauteing
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 medium onion
- Malek Batal PhD
Method of Preparation
- Bring to boil 2 L of water in a large pot and then add the lentil. Meanwhile wash the vegetables and cut them into small cubes.
- Add all the vegetables to the pot, excluding the onions and coriander.
- Saute the onions until golden in a shallow pan, then add the coriander, and stir-fry. Add the mixture to the lentils.
- When the water level is reduced by ½ litre in the pot, add 1 L of water and the lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil for one hour, then add the grated nutmeg and stir.