White Butter Bean Stew (Yakhnet Fassolia Baida Arrida)
Food for Thought
- 2 cups dry lentils
- ½ cup kishk
- 3 L water
- 2 tsp salt
For the Dough
- 1 ½ cups boiled water
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- A pinch of yeast
- 1 tsp salt
For the Stuffing
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil, for sauteing
- 500 g meat
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp dry mint
- Malek Batal PhD
Method of Preparation
- For the dough: Boil water, and pour it gradually over the whole-wheat flour. Add the salt, then the yeast. Mix thoroughly until the dough is elastic and smooth. Set aside for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, wash the lentils and add them to boiling water. Simmer until just tender.
- For the stuffing: Saute the onions in olive oil until lightly browned. Add the meat and salt. Cook thoroughly, mix well, then add the chopped mint.
- Spread the prepared dough on a floured table and cut it into small circles with diameters measuring 4 cm.
- Stuff each circle with 1 tsp of the cooked meat and close it; add it to a pot, For stuffing procedure, refer to Shish barak with spinach and yoghurt recipe.
- After around 25 minutes, make sure to drain the cooked lentils so that their color doesn’t affect the main dish.
- Add clean water to a pan and bring to the boil, then add the drained lentils. Add the kishk and the salt, and finally the stuffed dough to the boiling water. Simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently until the shish baraks are well cooked.