Food for Thought
Burghol is low in sodium and high in carbohydrate and fiber.
Rural communities relied largely on burghol and vegetarian recipes like potato kibbeh since meat used to be expensive and hard to get. Region: Aarsal
- 4 medium potatoes, washed
- 3 cups burghol
- 3 ½ tbsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ tbsp dry mint
- Malek Batal PhD
Method of Preparation
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot, then peel them.
- Wash the burghol and leave it aside to dry. Then mix it with the salt.
- Saute the onions.
- Mash the boiled potatoes with a spoon, and then mix them thoroughly with the burghol, mint and onions.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp of olive oil over the top of the kibbeh before serving. Kibbeh can be served hot or cold.