Food for Thought
Peak bone mass develops during youth, which explains the increased recommended calcium intake during this stage. Yogurt is an excellent source of calcium. Region: Kuakh
- ⅓ cup chickpeas. soaked overnight
- 1 ¼ cup raw corn kernels
- 2.6 L water
- 500 g yogurt
- 2 tsp salt
- Malek Batal PhD
Method of Preparation
- Place the chickpeas in a large saucepan, and cover with plenty of water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer, half-covered, for 1 hour or until the chickpeas are tender. Keep the water stock for later use.
- Soak the corn kernels in water, making sure the water is changed several times.
- Remove the skins that emerge on the surface and discard the water. To speed up the process, stir the corn while it is soaking.
- Drain corn when all skins have been removed.
- In a pot, add the corn to 2.5 L water and leave to boil for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Dilute the yogurt by adding to it ½ cup water and the salt. Mix well and heat the mixture for a few minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the corn and chickpeas with the yogurt. Add 2 ladies of water stock (from the water used to boil the chickpeas) and serve.